Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Riddle-Master of Hed - Patricia McKillip

The riddle of three stars...

I foolishly decided to pick up this trilogy individually; it is available in the fantasy masterworks collection as the whole trilogy though. This being the first of three books, I was reluctant to buy them all, so I settled for getting them singly, my copy has a different cover to the one opposite but it differs in no significant way.

This has all the trappings of a tried and tested formula, yet Patricia McKillip writes her books with something entirely more different. In this the first book there is a huge feeling of ancient wisdom that pervades throughout, of old tales and songs, high magic and lore that seem intrinsically linked all the way through.

I had to wait to even buy the next book, so I consequently haven’t even begun it. Though I can still pass judgement on the first, the rest of the trilogy remains to be read. As a stands the Riddle-master of Hed is an enchanting read, for the reason I uttered above it transfixes the reader in this dreamy style of a bygone world. It’s a powerful creation, as the world is very rich and well structured, though not the sort of world building comparable to other heavyweight creations, it’s still enough to keep to its strengths.

The world into which we are introduced is the remote island of Hed, that has little or no contact with the wider world, Hed is ruled over by its prince Morgon, and when events transpire to force him from his home he discovers all is not well abroad. It is previously revealed that Morgon wins a crown from a long dead Lord; consequently his life now gets flipped into one of peril and high intrigue, for he is plagued by three stars upon his forehead, and of a harp with three stars that comes into his possession.

I thought it was great first book of trilogy, the pace was well set, with their being a range of events that give it a real antique feel. There was one scene when I did actually wet myself, as something I didn’t quite expect to happen jumped out at me. This is a an enchanting book full of well worked song and legend, the characters are likable, and I found myself rueing the fact I’d not bought the second to read straight after.

This will appeal to those after something that mixes magic, myth and heroism all in one, and I’m looking forward to reading the second one.

The Riddle-Master of Hed - 9/10

No comments:

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library

About Me